Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Second Lesson and Much Confusion

Today was my second lesson in Aikido. Sensei Marker was not in attendance so one of the brown belt students filled in, which wasn't a bother at all as he was my partner and was a great help. We started out with stretches and roll/falling practice. One other new student and myself were pulled to the side for this to work on this which led me to become quite dizzy. Afterward we went in to smaller basics such as wrist twists sankyo and nikyo. I still have a bit of confusion on exactly how to do sankyo, but I am catching on to nikyo pretty quickly.
We then moved to kotegaeshi practice. I've picked up on this easily and enjoy it quite a bit. However, we then moved on to variations, such as, instead of grabbing the hand we reached around the head and used this momentum to take our partner to the ground. After this we moved on to another variation where we grabbed the neck and pulled our partner into our opposite arm, twist them around and bring them to the ground. This technique is pretty difficult for me, mainly because I didn't get much practice as it was nearing the end of class, and it made me quite dizzy.
All in all it was a good lesson today. Maybe a little too much crammed into an hour for me, but something I need to get used to. I need to work on remembering names of techniques and definitely footing. I'm thankful to have a great group of people surrounding me too. One week in and I'm already hooked!

"Be grateful even for hardship, setbacks, and bad people. Dealing with such obstacles is an essential part of training in Aikido."
- Morihei Ueshiba

No comments:

Post a Comment